- Performant and highly accurate
- For long read as well as short reads
- Usable via command line or convenient graphical user interface
- Extensive Python support on module level without computational penalty. (A precompiled pyd-file comes with the installer.)
- Installer for Microsoft Windows Windows® (64 bit)
8GB of memory is the recommended minimum for aligning reads with respect to the human genome. For large scale high-throughput alignments, a multi-core processor with at least 4 cores is preferable. In the case of processors with 16 cores or more, we advise the use of a SSD for SAM-output. Otherwise, bandwidth limitations of the output medium can hurt the overall performance.
If MA is compiled with Python support, the resulting binaries contain a file “libMA.pyd” that comprises a Python module for aligner construction and prototyping via Python scripts. The GitHub page of MA contains an example of such an aligner in the folder “python/MA”.
On the GitHub page: https://github.com/ITBE-Lab/MA.
Arne Kutzner, Markus Schmidt (2019)